Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Cheaters Chicken Pie

My mom's chicken pie is one of my most favorite foods.  It's one of my most favorite smells.  It's on my top 5 list of things to cook for dinner when nothing else sounds yummy.  But sometimes, the prep sounds like too much.  Sooo much chopping, so little naptime.  Even when you use one of these.



On days when I feel like I want the reward without the work, I make cheaters chicken pie.  All the yum, half the time!


You'll need precooked chicken strips, premade pie crusts, and frozen veggies of your choice for the filling.  Roll one pie crust into the bottom of a pie plate, pour in the chicken, top with the veggies.  I like lots of bits in my pie, so I fill it up pretty high.

Now you need some sauce.  It's not scary, I promise.  I keep the recipe on my fridge, in the top corner of the calendar.  That way I never have to look in a box.  My favorite sauce, in plain sight.



Melt the butter, then add in the flour.  When it's melted together all pretty-like, add in the milk and broth. Season to your liking.  This is my favorite combo:

Wait, you don't know what maple pepper is?  Get some here.  Maple Pepper  It's good on everything.

Stir til it thickens.  You will feel a noticeable difference in the sauce consistency.  Yes, you will.  Pour this mixture over the pie filling, up til the tippity top.

Open up the second crust and fold it in half to cut vents.  You can do traditional slits if you want.  We almost always do hearts, although we've been known to do a skull and crossbones every now and ten to shake things up!  Vents are important.  Mine look pretty messy on this pie.  Sorry.  I probably should have slept at naptime instead of making a pie :)  Place this pie crust on top of the pie and press all the edges together to make sure there are no leaks.  I like to use one of these to make the edges look pretty!  (It's a wavy slicer for veggies)  Brush the top with milk or a beaten egg - it will look so much prettier when you're done!  Use the milk/egg to attach the cut out vent shapes, if you want.



Cook for 20 minutes at 425, then lower temp to 350 and cook for another 30 minutes.  (This is all uncovered BTW.  No foil, please.  I promise the crust will not burn, and you want it to get nice and browned and flaky.



EAT.  I like mine with a side of cranberry sauce, but I'm the only one in this house who thinks that is a good idea.  Oh well.  This pie lasts us a short 2 days.  Dinner, lunch, dinner, the end.  It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment