Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Old crayons are new again!

Recycled crayons are nothing new.  I know this.  But to Raina it was BRAND new, and so much fun.  Our crayon drawer was looking a little messy.



So we peeled some of the older, broken ones (fine motor skills at work!) and sent them to a new fate!




After peeling, we put the nekkid little bits into a gallon sized freezer bag, and I let Raina have at it with a meat tenderizer.  Now, normally I would not let my toddler attack anything with a meat tenderizer.  But I was sitting half a foot from her, and, in my mind, it's safer than a hammer!


We filled the little flower shaped cups in a silicone ice cube tray...




and baked at 350 for about 8 minutes.  I kept checking on them, because I wanted them to melt, but not melt all together and ruin the rainbowness!



I'm glad we used an item I never intended to use with food (normally it's in with the playdoh toys), because even when the crayons were popped out, the tray looked like this:



The crayons came out so pretty!  Raina also thinks they are great for building towers and making shapes from.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment