Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Spoonful of Sugar...

A spoonful of sugar helps almost anything go down!  If you need a second opinion, ask any toddler you know :)  Raina is pretty sure that every meal should end with a "fancy chocolate," and I can't say I disagree!



We're having a slightly Valentine themed playgroup tomorrow (I'm hosting, and I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment or lead anyone on by calling it an all out Valentine's Day bash!), so I'm trying to make our house look presentable and get some pretty snacks together.  I saw this in the last issue of Family Fun magazine and thought it looked pretty and simple...



I'm pleased with how mine turned out, and hope the mommies enjoy stirring coffee with a pretty little spoon tomorrow!

Here's what you need:


1.  Plastic spoons.   By happy coincidence, mine happened to be pink!  They're leftovers from Raina's 1st birthday party.  Yes, 2 years ago.  I knew I was saving them for something!

2.  Melting chocolate.  I was all set to get white, but there were pink melts on the shelf, and I couldn;t resist!  They are microwavable, but I love my double boiler, so I used that.  You can do whichever is easier for you, just follow the instructions on the bag!

3.  Decorations!  I used red sugar and sugar hearts, but the possibilities are endless!  The Family Fun instructions mention conversation hearts and red hots, and the picture looks like it has nonpareils.






Directions...

1.  Melt chocolate.  Use a small spoon to fill the spoon part of your plastic spoons.  You don't need as much as you think you do!  Tap it a little to spread the chocolate evenly, then set them down with the handle resting on something.  This will make the spoon lay flat, making sure none of the hot chocolate spills or cools unevenly.  I used a folded dishtowel.  You could also use the side of a cookie sheet.

2.  While the chocolate is still hot, add decorations.  Place candies, tapping down a bit so they stick in place.  Sprinkle sugar.  Have fun!

3.  Place spoons gently on a tray, plate etc, trying to make sure the handles are still elevated slightly, amd transfer to fridge.  Let them "set" in the fridge for an hour or so to make sure they are really solid.  I used the tray from my toaster to hold them... how do those trays get so gross?!

4.  If your giving these as gifts, you can put the ends in clear treat bags and tie with a pretty ribbon.  I put mine in a cup with the spoons facing up so you could see them - a sugary sweet bouquet!

5.  STIR STIR STIR!






I was a little unsure about the practical use of these.   Would I actually *want* to stir my coffee with this confection?  Yes.  Yes I do.  One spoon lasted me through a couple cups, though, so a little goes a long way.  I was actually glad I didn't use conversation hearts, too.  I don't know how well they dissolve, and I'm not sure I'd want one floating in my cup.  The little candles looked pretty floating, even if it did take them a while to dissolve!



This is a recipe I'm eager to dig out at every holiday!  It would be SO easy to them them to most major holidays... I'm already picturing Halloween and Christmas!!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea! I am following from Sunday Social. Come visit!
    http://www.mamatinkstinkerings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete