Pages

Friday, December 29, 2017

Baby clothes quilting - for the niecelet

I haven't been here in ages.  I always feel like before I start posting I need to catch you all up on what I've done with my life since I last posted, a task that seems too big to get to.  So I'm throwing that idea aside and just saying, "HI!"  You'll figure out what's been going on as I post - hopefully more frequently again!

During my steady posting days a few years back I was working on baby clothes quilts for my girls.  Guess what?  They still aren't done!  I also started cutting squares for my son's quilt.  Also not complete.  But I have a cutie pants little niece now, Eliza.  She's almost 2 and she's taught me how much fun it is to be an auntie!  Her quilt?  Finished, done, gave it to my sister for Christmas.  Sorry kids, hahaha!

It was almost easier to work on a quilt I'm not *as* emotionally invested in... although there were plenty of squares that cam from outfits my own daughters wore before we passed them down to Miss Eliza!  I planned this quilt a lot more than any previous quilting projected - counted square and rows, chose a size ahead of time (WHAT?!), worked on a color scheme (RAINBOWS!)... and it all came together magically.

Magically last minute.  As in, finished the morning it needed to be given.  On Christmas Eve day.  So long, all other projects and items on my to-do list!  I am *so* glad I was able to give such a meaningful gift to my sister this year - one I hope she treasures for ever and looks at often.  Those baby days don't last nearly as long as you thin they will....

I'm pretty obsessed with the details.  The back is an embroidered family tree, just like Raina and Lucca have (I really would love to find a different colored version for Finn's!).  I keep saying I'm not really a pro at embroidery, but I've done an awful lot of it now!  I embroidered all the names in purple, and used buttons for embellishment.  The mother of pearl buttons are part of the quilting front to back, and came from my grandmother's sewing box.  The ribbons around the edge of the family tree are sewn in tagged blanket style, and are from a decoration my sister and I made to decorate Eliza's high chair during her first birthday party!

Around the family tree I used a pretty neutral silvery grey milky dot - so soft and really not terrible to work with.  The brightly colored bands on the top and bottom of the back are from her playmat - that baby holder with the big arches and dangly toys.

I had so much fun cutting squares for the front.  There are onesies, dresses, pants, overalls, sweaters, hats, bibs, blankets... a little bit of everything.  Wherever possible I saved pockets, ruffles, zippers, bows.... details add so much.

Previous to finishing this quilt, I thought binding a quilt was super complicated.  Turns out... I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG.  Yep.  I read a few tutorials, watched a Youtube video... and turns out it's not nearly as much trouble as I thought (and had previously put myself through!).  I machine sewed the front and hand sewed the back.  The entire way around.  I thought I was going to be binding this quilt for-actual-ever.  The light blue and light pink sections of binding were (again) from my grandmother's sewing box.

It was a true labor of love.  I'm glad I finished but honestly... so looking forward to getting my own kids' quilts worked on like crazy in 2018!  <3 p="">














3 comments:

  1. This is nice blog. For Baby Toy, go to All4kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee and tea contain caffeine, which is a stimulant and is known to raise blood pressure and cause anxiety. Some people may experience headaches and indigestion if they drink either of these too regularly or too fast. If you have to ask if coffee and lime weight loss are safe, you probably shouldn’t be having either of them. More..

    ReplyDelete